Grab a martini, let's demystify menopause.
Today’s Topic: The Power of Play
Hey tribe! Today I want to talk to you about the power of play.
When we were kids, we played all the time - I remember in my neighborhood, all the kids would get together to play Kick the Can and Red Rover. And do you remember the thrill of learning to ride a bike? Flying around the neighborhood!
I’ve been studying Dr. Stuart Brown, who has been researching the power of play for adults for decades. Dr. Brown has found that all adults need play in our lives, for all the great things it does for us. Some of the benefits of play include:
- Boosting the immune system
- Raising levels of feel-good neurotransmitters
- Helping us get through difficult times with laughter and joy
Play can be all kinds of things - playing on a sports team, playing music, going to the movies, working out, daydreaming, flirting - whatever brings you joy! All of these are types of adult play, and I encourage you to get more play time in your life.
Here are three easy ways to bring more play into your life:
- Give yourself permission to play - it’s not a waste of time, it’s good for you!
- Do a play history - what made you happy when you were young? Music, sports, games? See how you can get more of that into your life today.
- Hang out with playful people! People who enjoy having fun, and who have happy hearts, will help you have more play in your life, too.
Until next time - go get some play!
I’m Kelli. I am a menopause survivor, who has catapulted, stumbled, laughed, and cried my way to the other side of perimenopause and menopause. Along the way I’ve learned invaluable tips and resources to live my best self and beat the Hormone Groan!
No longer a hormone hostage (at least most days), my goal is to help you live well and with personal power through all the changes we go through in this incredible journey of life!